Safely store your cryptocurrency with a hardware wallet
Welcome to the big hardware wallet test of 2019. Here we share a list of useful reviews of cryptocurrency hardware wallets. We have taken a lot of valuable background information and put it all together with a clear and precise summary of available online reviews.
We aim to make your purchasing decision easier and to help you decide which hardware wallet is best for you and your needs. Our goal is for you to be able to safely store your cryptocurrency and bitcoin with the use of a hardware wallet
In the Advisor section you can find the answers to all frequently asked questions on the topic of cryptocurrency hardware wallets. Where possible we added test videos and farther along the page we added some important key factors you should consider before purchasing a hardware wallet.
If you have been hodling your Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies on exchanges then this is the solution to keep them safe from hackers and become your own bank.
Because they are used for cold storage of your coins they do not need to be connected to the internet. That is why they provide greater security by being a lot harder to hack.
A brief Summary
- A hardware wallet is a hardware device that needs to be connected to your computer, using a USB or another kind of connection. Through this device you can run a Bitcoin (or alt coin) wallet to securely store your bitcoin, and still send and receive them easily.
- If you are a general user then a hardware wallet is the perfect solution for you to make sure that your cryptocurrencies stored safely but it is up to you to see which features please you most to decide which one to purchase.
A good bitcoin hardware wallet can give you the safety of cold storage combined with the ease of an online wallet. If you are using your tokens as a longer term investment then hardware wallets are just the thing you need for your security!
Top 3 Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet Brands
First on the market
Open source community
self listing of coins
own operating system
All leading cryptocurrencies
Advisor: Questions you need to answer before buying a hardware wallet
A cryptocurrency hardware wallet is a device that allows you to store your private keys on a protected area of a microcontroller that is part of a hardware device.
All hardware wallets perform the same basic functions:
- generate a new private key safely and securely within the device
- display the corresponding public key to be able to send cryptocurrency to the device
- display what coins or tokens are held inside the device
It is important to know what you want to store and then to check which devices support which blockchain. There are some that only support Bitcoin, while others can be used for multiple assets. As subtokens on Ethereum and the ERC20 standard become more common, we can start expecting better and more support.
The most important thing about hardware wallets is to buy them with the company that produces them.
The biggest and most trusted hardware wallet brands are:
All our links are affiliate links that lead to the companies that produce these hardware wallets and give me a small commission if you make a purchase.
There are several aspects that ensure that hardware wallets are as secure as they can be. The first is the fact that the microcontrollers are not some random chips that can be found in your microwave. They are Secure Element microcontrollers and are also used in passports and creditcards. All of these chips are certified and are hardened to outside influences.
Another factor to know on why hardware wallets are safe is the way public and private keys are handled. The public keys are used to deposit but the private keys are held in cold storage an as such are never online or connected to the internet where they would be vulnerable to hacking.
The answer to that is very simple. Yes, you do!
No matter if you are a bigger investor or just starting with cryptocurrencies. The value of those coins and tokens can skyrocket in a matter of weeks like Bitcoin going from 3500 in September 2017 to 20000 in December. Even if you hold small amount the value can really appreciate fast. On top of that there is that saying we mentioned in our summary: Not your keys, not your crypto.
All coins stored on an exchange are not yours if you do not have the private keys. With cryptocurrencies you really are your own bank and in that case the security of your tokens is the most important thing there is. Its like putting your valuables and money in a safe and just carrying around only a little bit for daily spending.
A hardware wallet lets the blockchain know that you own the Bitcoin or other token that is stored internally on its microcontroller. In a sense it is like a physical key that lets you open the door of the vault where your money is stored.
The actual way to back up your access to your coins is to use the Seed of 24 words that you got when setting up your original address. So if you break, lose your hardware wallet or if it gets stolen you can just get another and activate that with your 24 word seed and be confident that without that seed no one can get to your money except you.
these are some of the biggest advantages:
- your private keys are stored in a protected area of a micro controller/sd card, and cannot be transferred out of the device in plaintext
- they are immune to computer viruses that have been know to hack into software wallets
- the use is secure and interactive so private keys never come in contact with potentially vulnerable software
- much of the time, the software is open source, allowing a user to validate the entire operation of the device
- It might be good to take into account that these are small devices and even smaller screens (if any) and a limited amount of buttons. User friendliness is turning out to be a key aspect besides security. Price wise they are all in the same range and definitely worth the investment to keep your coins and tokens safe.
- We are not selling these wallets, instead all links lead to the original manufacturers websites. (we do get a small commission for the referrals)
- Below you will find the most current and popular options with an option for more info if needed.
- Keep in mind that all products below have to be shipped and that the shipping costs can vary to where you liv
Size in mm
BTC / ETH / ERC20
USB / micro SD